What is Culture Shock? How does it develop over time? Here you can find an introduction to culture shock and accounts from expats about their experience with it.
If you have ever felt in the wrong place after moving to a new city, or went through a stage of continuously criticizing people around you after expatriating, or felt irritable after relocating, you’ve probably suffered from culture shock.
You may not even have known you were suffering from culture shock.
Did you experienced some to several of the following symptoms sometime after relocating abroad or to another part of your own country?
- Night unrest
- Disliking locals
- Tendency to criticize local customs
- Judging local customs as (partly) immoral
- Considering native culture as ideal
- Appearance of new physical ailments
- Being highly irritable by small issues
- Feeling alone
- Feeling inadequate
- Voluntary isolation from others
These are typical symptoms of culture shock