During a conclave, Catholic Church cardinals are confined in the Sistine chapel and in their quarters for all the duration of new pope’s election. They are not allowed any contact with the rest of the world.
Let’s take a look at some little-known details.
1. Conclave is an Italianization of the Latin words cum + clavis, literally meaning “with a key”, that is, “locked inside.”
2. Conclave is the oldest method of election in the world among the ones still in use.
3. Nowadays a Faraday cage is installed to shield mobile phone or Wi-Fi communication in and out. Failing in obeying the no-external-contact rule can result in excommunication.
4. Current electoral body for the election of a new pope–the College of Cardinals–was designated nearly 1000 years ago, in 1059.
Before that, popes could be elected by either the people, noble families, or any kind of then-powerful lobby. German emperors and Italian kings usually made a lot of pressure as to who should be elected.
5. Any baptized catholic could be theoretically elected pope. However, last election of a non-cardinal pope took place in 1378. Therefore, if you hoped of being the new pope and you’re not a cardinal, give up your hopes. It’s their business.
The Sistine Chapel ceiling by Michelangelo reaches the remarkable age of five hundred.
Exactly five hundred years ago the frescoed ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was brought to completion. This unique, extraordinary and unparalleled work has been there, almost intact during the last five hundred years, for us to admire.
It was late October, early November 1512 AD, when Michelangelo, after four intense years of work, finally completed the frescoes on the ceiling.
Five hundred year old without not showing its age at all. In fact, to me the Sistine Chapel looks like it’s almost brand-new. Probably restoration that took place between 1984 and 1994 also played a role on that.
Today Sistine Chapel is part of the Vatican Museums, and it is visited by five million people a year.
The chapel is also famous for being the election location of catholic popes.
IMPORTANT NOTE: 1.5 is a major update. Please see readme.txt before updating. Chip Life is an elegant theme powered by an advanced code architeture and grid system. Along with the elegant design the theme is easily customizable with numerous theme options. Make it yours with a custom menu, logo, and background.